Custom map imports (non-map store) are limited to three maps at any given time unless you are an Unlimited Import or Pro subscriber. These maps can be swapped out as often as you like. Map store maps are unlimited regardless of subscription type.
On the Map List screen, tap the Add icon ('+') followed by "Download or import a map" to import a map. You can import a map from any of the following sources:
- Avenza Map Store
- Device Storage
- QR Code
- Custom URL Scheme
Avenza Map Store
Opens the Avenza Map Store where you can get free maps as well as purchase maps. Learn more about the Avenza Map Store.
Request a Map
This option will allow you to contact us and request a map not currently found in the map store. Please provide as much detail as possible about the desired map, and if you have a web link available for the map wanted, please provide that as well.
Avenza Maps features a built-in QR code reader that allows you to import maps by scanning QR codes displayed on signs, posters, maps or the web.
- Tap the QR Code icon in the top right corner.
- If this is the first time you are using the app, you will need to allow the app access to the device camera.
- Scan the QR code.
You can load maps from your device's storage (internal memory or memory card).
- Tap From Device Storage
- Tap a map you want to import.
Dropbox is a cloud storage solution for all your photos, docs, videos, and files. Maps stored on your Dropbox can be imported to Avenza Maps.
Note: You must have a separate Dropbox account (free to create) if you wish to sync Avenza Maps with Dropbox.
- Tap From Dropbox.
- Confirm that you want to connect to Dropbox.
- Enter your login credentials or tap Allow (if you're already logged into Dropbox).
- Tap to select which maps you want to import, then tap Import.
Enter a URL of a compatible georeferenced map. The map will automatically download to your device.
Custom URL Scheme
Enter a custom URL scheme (pdfmaps:// or avenzamaps://) to open the desired map file in the app. For example, add the prefix to a map in the following format:
After adding a prefix simply share the URL via email or message and click the link. The link will automatically open in Avenza Maps and the import of the map will begin. If the person opening the link does not have Avenza Maps installed, they will be prompted to install the app.
Please note that in order to force the direct download from some sources (e.g. Dropbox), the web address may need to be modified. Please contact Avenza Support using the contact form if you run into any problems.
Note: Some devices, carriers, and email clients do not support this format or have size restrictions.
Supported Map Formats
Avenza Maps supports the following formats for custom imported maps:
- Geospatial PDF (.pdf) - A PDF embedded with geographic information
- TerraGo GeoPDF (.pdf) - A PDF embedded with geographic information. GeoPDF is a proprietary format of TerraGo
- GeoTIFF (.tiff, .tif) - A GeoTIFF is a TIFF file embedded with geographic information
- JPG (.jpg) - A JPG is an image file that must be packaged with either a TFW & PRJ or JGW & WKT in a ZIP file
- Avenza Maps File (.avenzamaps, .pdfmaps) - A format used to import multiple custom maps at once (such as for a folder or map collection). For more information, please see .Avenzamaps Files
- Custom Scheme (avenzamaps://, pdfmaps://) - Creates a clickable link that can be shared via email, messaging, etc. and will automatically prompt Avenza Maps to open when clicked.