Avenza Maps allows the import of custom map features for use on maps both online and offline. Map Features include placemarks, tracks, lines, and areas (as of v3.3). The first step to importing your own custom map features is to ensure that you have a map open that will cover the area of interest. Once this map is open tap the Map Features icon located next to the wrench (see image below). Currently, imported features must be in either KML/KMZ format or Shapefile. The importing of Attribute Schemas can only be done through the KML/KMZ format. Please note that the importing of Shapefiles requires a Pro subscription, as well as the appropriate files combined together in a ZIP folder in order to successfully import (.shp, .shx, .prj, and .dbf).
Once the Map Features List is displayed, tap the Import Map Features icon in the lower right corner.
You can import from several sources including:
- Manage Existing Layers - Allows you to access features from the Layers tab. This includes layers that may already be on other maps
- Recently Used (KML/KMZ, Shapefile*) - Allows you to choose from a list of previously used layers (ideal when importing Map Features from Email, or if using the same feature on multiple maps). This option can be used for offline importing
- From iTunes File Sharing (KML/KMZ, Shapefile*) - Allows you to connect to iTunes and drag/drop files for use in the app. For more information on how to use iTunes File Sharing, please see the link here
- From Dropbox (KML/KMZ, Shapefile*) - Allows you to connect to Dropbox to import features. Please note this option does require an internet connection and access to a Dropbox account
- Import Schema (KML/KMZ) - Allows you to import an attribute schema with no extra map features or data
*Shapefile only supported with Avenza Maps Pro. Please also note that Shapefiles must be in a ZIP folder with all relevant components (.shp, .shx, .dbf, .prj)