It is possible to move an imported map from one device with Avenza Maps to another device using AirDrop - a technology for directly transferring files from one Apple device to another. This feature is only available for iOS devices. We are looking into ways to allow transferring between Android devices, as well as between platforms (i.e. iOS to Android or vice versa).
The only types of maps that can be transferred through AirDrop are imported maps, that is, ones that were added from through iTunes Connect, from DropBox, a QR Code or from the web. It will not work with maps purchased from the Avenza Map Store. To transfer an imported map using AirDrop, do the following:
- Turn on WiFi, Bluetooth, and AirDrop on both iOS devices. WiFi and Bluetooth can be found under iOS Settings. To turn on AirDrop, swipe up from the bottom edge of the device to open the Control Center and ensure that AirDrop is set to Everyone.
- Open the map you would like to transfer.
- Tap Map Features.
- Tap Export
- On the Export Settings screen under Send To, tap AirDrop.
- Under Data select All Features and Map or Custom and select the map.
- Tap Export. An AirDrop window will appear with a list of available devices to share with. Tap on the name of the other device to share.
- On the other device a window will appear notifying you that a device would like to share a file through AriDrop. Tap Accept to start the download.