Layers can contain map features: placemarks, lines, tracks, areas, photos, and schema. The Layers tab, stores all features in the Avenza Maps database. What does this mean? This means that in the event that you remove a map, the features you had on it, will still be accessible from the Layers tab, and not lost. This also means that you can easily link a layer with multiple maps without having to export and re-import the file each time. Features added to a layer will be dynamically updated so that each map referencing that layer will have access to the same features.
From the Layers tab, users can easily manage their layers and map features through a series of tools including:
- View what map a layer is linked to
- View what types of features a layer contains
- View the number of features a layer contains
- Add a layer
- Search layers/map features
- Import layers (option to link with map(s) on import, or just import)
- Export select layers based on visibility
- Export all layers at once
- Edit layer information
- Edit map feature information
- Move layers/features
For detailed information on the functionality available within the Layers tab, please see the articles below.